Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sam's Success Story





























Although I was a 5-6 day a week runner, I was bored with my workouts and started skipping. I was looking for a workout that was more challenging and satisfying. A friend told me about these CrossFit workouts that were kicking his butt and he was in the best shape of his life. That was the best recommendation anyone could make and I set out to find a local affiliate. I was nervous walking into CrossFit Cedar Park for my introductory session with Nikki Isbell. She explained CrossFit to me and put me through a baseline workout. Afterwards, I sat on one of the tables and literally blacked out. It was certainly a wake-up call.






My cholesterol levels were rising and I was already on medicine for high blood pressure. I was taking part in a traditional low cholesterol, high in “good fiber,” low-fat diet, but my LDL cholesterol continued to climb. By the time I started CrossFit, I was taking medicine for my high blood pressure and high bad cholesterol.
































Since joining CrossFit Cedar Park a year ago, I’ve seen my cholesterol levels and my high blood pressure improve significantly. My medicines have been reduced by half and my physician is considering taking me off the blood pressure medicine completely. I’ve learned a new way of eating that provides me with the food I need to maintain my energy and physical performance. I’ve reduced my minute mile pace from 8 minute to a 7 minute mile, my dead-lifts started at 185lbs and have increased to 385lbs and I feel confident that I will break the 400 mark soon. My body fat has dropped from 26% to under 16%, lost 2 inches off my waist and have had to buy all new work clothes. I feel great, have almost unlimited energy.





























Although I have many accomplishments, my most memorable is “Murph” - 1 mile run, 100 pullups, 200 pushups, 300 squats, 1 mile run. If you have asked me to do this workout when I first started CrossFit, I never would have made it through the first 100 pullups.



I am now more active around the house and the office, I push harder on projects in my professional career and have made improvements in areas at work on projects that I most likely would not have tackled with as much focus or energy.

























I have made new friends with similar values and interests. The people involved at CFCP look at life from a different perspective. Everyone that I’ve met and talked to tackles challenges willingly, no matter how big or small. I think I see every thing I work on now as I see Murph - one more thing that I CAN do.

No comments:

Post a Comment